August 30, 2021
Storm Ida Update #1
Our thoughts are with those suffering from the devastating effects of Hurricane Ida. We wish safe travels to the brave men and women from New Jersey Task Force 1 and all those who have been deployed to assist with the rescue and recovery efforts. Locally, the Marlboro Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is monitoring the threat for heavy rain and flooding expected in our area Wednesday into Thursday due to the remnants of Hurricane Ida.
Henri and Ida are reminders that New Jersey’s tropical storm activity is typically between August and October. Please take the time now to confirm that your plan is in place to weather the storms.
STAY INFORMED - Information may be sent in a combination of email, social media and SWIFT 911, and we suggest that residents register for as many communication methods as possible.
- EMAIL: Click here: https://marlboro-nj.gov/register-e-bulletin to enter your email.
- SWIFT 911 - Marlboro Police Emergency Notification System: https://marlboro-nj.gov/swift911 Please register home and cell numbers and opt in for text messaging. When the power goes out home phones are generally not operable so we suggest that you register both home and cell and opt in for text messaging. If you do not use a cell phone, please ask a relative to register their number so they can keep you informed.
- SOCIAL MEDIA – Updates and information that changes frequently as often posted on social media, primarily Facebook. The official Town page is @Marlboro Township, NJ (look for the blue and gold seal) facebook.com/marlborotownship/
PLAN & PREPARE – Use this time to make a plan with your family.
- New Jersey OEM HURRICANE SURVIVAL GUIDE provides details on the three steps to Plan and Prepare as well as important State and Federal phone numbers, web addresses and social media sites.
- Power Outages - Wind and rain brings the possibility of power outages. Report outages to JCP&L by calling 888-544-4877 (888-LIGHTSS). Set up text reporting and status updates by texting REG to 544487 with your 12 digit account number and zip code. Track outages http://outages.firstenergycorp.com/nj.html
Please immediately report downed wires to JCP&L or the Marlboro Division of Police. Never go near a downed power line, even if you think it is no longer carrying electricity.
As an additional reminder, the Township’s website includes a ‘Storm Updates’ section which may be found on the Alerts tab on the homepage or https://marlboro-nj.gov/storm-updates. Communications including storm emails, preparedness information, Office of Emergency Management notifications, and JCP&L updates are all posted there for your convenience and reference.
Stay safe and stay in touch,
Mayor Jon Hornik