Division of Tax Collection
ANNUAL TAX BILL MESSAGE – Update 8/2/2022
The annual tax bills were mailed on July 29th. Property tax information can be found using the link on this page “View Property Taxes Online”.
The grace period for 3rd quarter property taxes (due August 1st) has been extended to August 22nd. Note that interest charges on payments made after the grace period are calculated back to the August 1 due date.
Register for email updates by entering your email address in the blue box on the website homepage.
Homestead Benefit Rebates The State of New Jersey has issued property tax credits for 2018. If a Homestead Benefit credit was applied to your property taxes, an adjusted tax bill was mailed to you on March 31, 2022. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your homestead credit, please contact the State of New Jersey directly at 1-888-238-1233 or, visit the website at: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/homestead/geninf.shtml
Property tax bills are mailed annually in July and include 4 payment stubs. Taxes are due quarterly on February 1st, May 1st, August 1st, and November 1st. The Township grants a ten-day grace period, after which interest accrues from the first day payment is due. For example, first quarter taxes are due February 1st, if payment is received after the grace period, interest is calculated retroactive to February 1st. If the tenth day falls on a weekend or legal holiday (or, on a day that the Tax Collector’s office is not open) the following business day will be the last day of the grace period.
The Township offers the following methods for payment of taxes:
- Mail a check using your payment stub to the Township of Marlboro Tax Collector, 1979 Township Drive, Marlboro, NJ 07746.
- Online through your personal online banking. Allow 7 to 10 business days for bank processing (an actual check is mailed to our office by your bank). No fees are assessed by the Township.
- Online through a third party payment processing company by electronic check or credit card at https://www.marlboro-nj.gov/departments/tax-collector Click on the link on the right hand side of the page “Pay & View Taxes Online”. Once you click on the link, you will need your tax account number (information is on your tax bill). The payment amount will be provided for you. No fees are assessed by the Township; however, please note that these online payments do involve fees and charges levied by a third party payment processor.
- A 24 hour drop box is located inside the vestibule of the administration entrance of Town Hall. All payments are credited on the next business day. Cash payments are not accepted.
There are often times when the tax collector must return checks that are written incorrectly. These errors cause delays and necessitate interest being charged on late payments. Please double check the following when writing your check:
- Check is made payable to Marlboro Township
- Check is signed
- The numeric amount matches the written amount
- Check has a current date; postdated checks cannot be accepted
- Include tax stubs for all properties that you are paying (If you do not have the stub, please include your block and lot number, tax account number or your property location)
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope for any information you require returned
- Please do not staple your tax stub to your check
For questions, please call the Tax Collector’s Office at 732-536-0200 ext. 1804 or visit our webpage at /departments/tax-collector
PTR Verification Forms – The application deadline for the 2021 Senior Freeze Program is October 31, 2022. Please view attached notice regarding the completion of these forms by the Tax Collector HERE. View the State of New Jersey’s 2021 eligibility requirement HERE.
The Tax Collection Division is responsible for receiving and collecting all current and delinquent real and personal property taxes and charges, receiving penalties and interest, and accounting to the Director of Finance for all collections. The Tax Collection Division is also charged with:
- Performing tax searches and other liens on real property in the Township and charging and collecting fees for such searches.
- Preparing and mailing tax bills, collecting taxes, and maintaining tax accounting records.
- Depositing all monies received in one or more depositories selected by the Township Council and maintaining complete records and accounts of all sums collected and received.
Please note the following:
- Property tax bills are mailed once a year in July and contain four (4) quarterly payments.
- Taxes are due February 1st, May 1st, August 1st and November 1st.
- Please be advised that the State of New Jersey does not allow the Tax Collector to acknowledge postmarks. Therefore, taxes must be received in this office on or before the 10th. However, if the 10th falls on a weekend or a legal Holiday, you will have the next business day to make a payment. Payments received after the grace period will be assessed 8% interest per annum on the first $1,500.00 of delinquency and 18% per annum on all balances over $1,500.00.
- Any balances over $10,000 on December 31st, will be assessed an additional flat 6% penalty.
- All taxes not paid by November 11 are subject to tax sale.
- If your property taxes are paid through your mortgage company, each quarterly stub will have a notation stating “Advice Copy Only Do Not Pay”. If your mortgage company is no longer responsible for remitting property tax payments, you may use these payment stubs. Please complete the following form and return to the Tax Collector’s office so our records can be updated accordingly. (Bank Code Removal Form)
- When selling your property, this bill must be handed over to the new owner at the time of closing.
- Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from paying your taxes or the interest due on delinquent taxes.
Tax Relief Programs
Shop Marlboro: To participate in the program, register a Shop Marlboro card (available at Township Administration) online at www.propertytaxcard.com/shopmarlboro. Shop Marlboro Cards can be obtained at Investors Bank (Morganville branch) or in the Administration Office at Town Hall. Receive property tax incentives by shopping at participating stores in Marlboro. Credits are applied to your property taxes once per year in the 3rd quarter (due August 1). Please visit www.propertytaxcard.com or call 732-946-0919 for more information.
Senior Citizens or Disabled or Surviving Spouse Annual Tax Deduction: Annual deduction of $250 is available for Senior Citizens/Disabled/Surviving Spouse applicants who qualify based on residence and income limitations. Applications can be obtained from the Tax Assessor’s Office or online at: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/ptd.pdf The Supplemental Income Form which must be included with the application can be obtained online at: https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/other_forms/lpt/NJ_PT_SupplementIncome.pdf
Please contact 732-536-0200 Ext. 1803 with any questions.
New Jersey Homestead Benefit: Applications are mailed to the homeowners directly from the State. For information on this program, please call the Homestead Benefit Hotline 888-238-1233 or visit the website at
New Jersey Property Tax Reimbursement/"Senior Freeze" (The Blue Book): Applications are mailed to the homeowners directly from the State. If you meet the requirements, you may be eligible for a reimbursement of the difference between the amount of property taxes you paid for the base year (the year you first became eligible and filed) and the amount paid for the year for which you are applying for a reimbursement. PTR-1 or PTR-2 forms must be completed by the Tax Collector for verification of taxes paid prior to filing the application. Completed application packets must be submitted to the State for approval. For additional information please call the Property Tax Reimbursement Hotline 800-882-6597 or visit the website at http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/ptr/index.shtml
New Jersey Tax Relief Program Information HERE